Thursday, February 11, 2010

Typography Design Problems

I am writing blog number two on little to no sleep last night. With what little sleep I got, I dreamed about Typography. Most designers or design students pro



bably already know what this is, but for those who do not, let me fill you in. Typography is learning how to design with type. Simple, you say? No, not really. I never knew how important the bracket on serif was, or the stress of letters 'e' or 'a'. These are things nobody really thinks about while reading. Type actually plays a very significant role in design and when trying to portray a particular message in your work.
A little lesson I have learned is that if you research the typeface and learn its characteristics, then you can use it in reference to your work. Another lesson I learned is if you
stress type enough it is stuck in your sub conscience. This brings me back to the root of my dream, Design Problem number two. My professor, hands us our second project for mounting...
Design Problem: Balance/Meaning
"Balance is a fundamental human condition. We seek balance among the many facets of or personal and professional lives."
"In design, balance anchors and activates elements in space. Relationships among elements on the page or screen remind us of physical relationships."

Here is what I understand, but can not seem to produce on screeen....

"A symmetrical design is inherently stable. Yet balance need not be static"- my dream

Design Problem:
In two compositions, explore visual balance while arranging a word to express its meaning. Consider how symmetrical/asymmetrical balance will impact the expression of meaning.

You may vary the size, spacing, placement and orientation of the letters.

Of course there was more to the whole assignment, but you get the idea. So here I am waking up 1:00am, 2:00am, etc. I realized I was really sweating this design problem. After brainstorming and thumbnailing, I had nothing! It was not until my very brief dream that I realized... "Use what you got."
I understood the problem, I was just wrestling with making it one of my best instead of sticking to
An Incomplete Manifesto for Growth #2 Forget about good. Needless to say, I completed the assignment as per guidelines and I had to get over my fear of it not being good.
"Good" is by my standards.







1 comment:

  1. Yes, you have to stop worrying about how good of a job you are doing and just do the job! I've struggled with this in my own, completely unrelated work. I eventually realized that I'd come to dread work because I thought I wasn't good at it. When I stopped worrying about being good and just focused on doing what I do I found that I enjoyed it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete