Friday, February 12, 2010

Conceptualizing

As most of you may know, you should never begin a project without first planning it. This is what I call conceptualizing. For weeks I have had this swarm of awesome design ideas in my head, but for some reason I can not seem to make them come to life. Of course I know that nothing just happens, or that the design will magically appear on paper or on screen. What I have come to realize is that I lack the tools and motivation.
I ask myself, "Where do I get these things?" This is the unknown. I have these concepts, but no visuals, no notes, no skills! Duh, I am still learning. I go back and forth with the reality that in order to make these magnificent ideas into actual designs, I have to ask questions. Not only do I have to ask myself these questions, but my peers, my classmates, and my readers.
I think my biggest fear with design is that I will not be able to convey to my audience what I see in my head.
Conceptualizing is a way for me to overcome my fears. If I plan it, write it down when I first think of it, and draw it out on paper first, only then can I acquire the motivation. After first doing that, then I can just break out the books to also acquire the tools. The skills are something that I already have! So there, I have attempted to pacify myself with my own answers to these questions. I just have to keep reminding myself- I can not start in the middle if there is never a beginning-CONCEPTUALIZE!

No comments:

Post a Comment