Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Critics

Critiquing can seem to be a very intimidating word, but it is vital when producing work. Fear is not an emotion one wants to experience during a critique, but it is inevitable. There is that famous saying that you are your own worst critic. Is that why the fear factor exists? I have realized my lack of confidence has modeled me to be horrible at accepting criticism. I understand that the definition of the word does not exactly mean anything negative, but it is judgment. Judgment of my work, but because I am attached to my work I always feel like the critic is judging me. Whenever I hand my work to someone I project my insecurities to their critical analysis. My confidence is in the hands of my critic. Overall, I feel like I have failed and consequently criticize my critic. I have to accept the fact that if I want to improve my work, I must know how my audience/client feels about it. I also have to convince myself that if it is not exactly right the first time, that there is always a second chance. My ultimate goal is to accept criticism for what it really is, help.
Do not criticize your critics.

1 comment:

  1. Accepting criticism is a very difficult thing. We don't even have to call it criticism, really. We can just call it feedback. I still at times find myself becoming defensive. This usually happens internally and I catch myself. When I do I make a conscious effort to listen to what the person is saying and to look for some validity in it that I can remark on. Practicing this has helped me to be a bit better at accepting feedback.

    ReplyDelete